Monday, May 16, 2011

What to do, what to do...

Being a coach, I'm often asked how I decided what project I should do first on a busy day. Here's how I start my day: I wake up early and make sure my family is also awake early. Without me they wouldn't get up in time, so this is one of the most important things that I do. Next I go for a brisk walk outside, come back in, take a drink of water, and take a nap for an hour or two. Are you noticing the pattern? I start my day with the most important thing I have to do-- I make sure my family is awake on time-- then I move on to the next important thing on my list, I go outside and take my walk. 


When you have a lot in your water bowl and you don't know where to begin, the best thing to do is start off on the thing that needs to get done the most that day, or that morning. It doesn't matter if it is the longest project you have to do, or the shortest, the hardest or the easiest, you should start your day with the most important. When that is complete you move on to the next important task for that day. That way, by the end of your day, if there is something you didn't finish it is ok. 


For example, my day ends with dinner, then sitting around the house with my, before curling up and going to sleep. Now I am all rested up to start the day again by waking up my family early.



No comments:

Post a Comment