Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An uncertain future.

Compass, I am concerned these days about my financial future.  Everything seems so tenuous.  What should I do with my money?  CDs?  Certainly not the stock market?!  Overseas companies?



Worried


Worried,



Personally, I'd bury it someplace in my backyard.  But you do run the risk of not realizing where you put your stash and then that's a problem.



The real problem, from my perspective, is greed-driven decision-making; in concert with this drive for more, more, more that so many people have.  Its like people are in a race -- not with your neighbors but with yourself.  How much is enough?



I know one person who has 4 flat screen TVs -- one in every room.  I know another person who owns a car for work, a car for family use and a jeep for the summer!  And that is just for him!  His wife also owns two cars. 



And its not just TVs and cars.  I know someone else that has dishes they use daily, another complete set of dishes for Christmas and another complete set of dished for other special occasions.  Plus they have another complete set -- the set they had before they bought their "new" every day set -- in their attic -- in storage -- just in case.  Just in case what?  Crazy if you ask me.  I would be happy with just one bowl.  Really.



Now you might not have 4 TVs, 5 cars or 4 sets of dishes, but chances are you have more than you need of something.  Shoes?  Sporting equipment?  Computers?  Games?  DVDs?



What's it like to always need more?



Now what do you think it would be like to be happy with what you have?  No, not to be complacent and lie around all day in a world void of motivation.  To strive for greatness, but to be happy with the present.



It is, after all, called "present."  And if you are rushing around focused on this that or the other thing, you are wasting this "gift."



Compass



PS - Have a question?  Need advice?  Want an opinion?  Just Ask Compass by sending me an email.



No comments:

Post a Comment